Monday 25 March 2013

Lord Whitney

A while ago we had a visit from Lord Whitney, who set us an small and interesting brief. I know the illustrators have been given briefs and worked with Lord Whitney before, but it was something new for the surface designers. The brief they gave us said that we could spend as much or as little time on it as we wanted, it could be only a couple of hours or a few days, also it wasnt meant to be thought and fussed about too much, it was meant to be a sort of escape from our final project, which I thought was a good idea, as sometimes you can become too wrapped up in your current work and just need to get away and take some time away and then come back to it later on. I think that the illustrators have had similar briefs in the past, were they only last for a couple of days or so, however it was a first for the surface designers, so I wasn't sure how I would react and work on this brief as I have a tendency to sometimes over think and plan things too much. 
The brief said that we should illustrate any of Edward Lear's nonsense poems, the poem I chose was;


There was an old man of Dumbree,
Who taught little owls to drink tea;
For he said, 'To eat mice,
Is not proper or nice'
That amiable man of Dumbree.
I started by drawing the cups, mugs and teapots using a black fineliner. 


I then decided to make the owls, I stated by cutting out basic owl shapes from found paper, then drew on top using black fine-liner. I wanted each to have their own personality and to each look different from one another, so some are cute and friendly where as other look moody or sleepy. 

I then stated to draw the mouse, I ripped a piece of grey paper and then drew the basic mouse shape and some cheese using fine liner. I drew his happy because he's meant to be safe from the owls. I think the mouse is my favourite element.

I then had to find away of combining all the different elements together, so I jumped on photoshop, scanned in my drawings and then layered and combined them together, and this was the end result. 


Overall I really liked the outcome, I think there could have been a few things to improve on, such as the drawing style and using different materials and techniques to draw with, however because it was only over a couple of days I'm proud of it. I think it has shown me how much work I can actually produce in only a couple of days. I also think it has helped me to have more freedom in my work and not plan out and over think too much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment